Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Advent Season


The weather has turned colder and the isolation that I have feared has begun to settle in just a bit. It has been too cold this week to even think about doing errands. The thought of putting on Will's jackets, hat, and gloves ( and the fit he has when he realizes he cant use his hands) makes me tired enough. A lot of the fall activities I have been involved in have been coming to an end over the last week. Some are taking a winter break, and some are ending. During the last MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) meeting last Thursday we talked about Christmas traditions of the past and ones we are creating with our children. I thought I would share a few of the things Adam and I have decided to incorporate into our family:

1. We hope to always have the opportunity to cut down our Christmas tree as we did this year. It was really fun and the tree is beautiful.

2. I have purchased the family Advent Book so that Adam and I can share the true meaning of Christmas with Will throughout the month of December. This book has a very short, kid friendly reading for each day of the Advent season. Each page is beautifully illustrated with a door that can be opened to reveal part of the story of Christ's birth. It's hard to explain it really..but you can check it out at www.theadventbook.com. A lot of the moms in my MOPS group do it with their families and cannot say enough good things about it.

3. We have hung our stockings and have decided to put one small present in each that will be opened on Christmas Eve!

4. We have also decided not to hype up the whole santa thing. We are going to talk about Saint Nick as the historical figure and go from there. No letters to santa and that kind of stuff.

5. We are going to have a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas night..after all..it is his birthday!

6. We're going to take turns opening gifts, just as I've also done, so we can all share in the gifts together.

I'm looking forward to this Christmas and many more! I love the whole Advent season and always get a little sad when its over. But we have so many things to look forward to in 2009 and every day/month/year with Will is different!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Kristen! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas in this blog! I'm so excited to share new and old traditions with Camden, and Scott and I share many of the same ideas you have (Saint Nick instead of all the Santa hype, taking turns opening presents, talking about advent...). I'm going to go look up that advent book right now! Hope you enjoy this wonderful season!

-Lindsey

PS - we NEED to hang out sometime...too bad we live an hour and 45 minutes apart! :(