Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mommy can do anything


I know...two posts in one week. But I feel like I really need to share how our day was today. Will was not an angel child (he was actually kind of whiney in comparison to other days) but we had such a great day. As most of you know that have met him, Will is really into baby signing....especially "more", which is made by putting the thumb and pointer fingers together on both hands. When Will first learned this sign at about 10 months, he only used it for food. In the last month or so...he has expanded his usage of "more" to things other than food. Last week, three big trucks drove through our neighborhood and Will turned to me and asked for "more". I had to laugh...he really does think I can do anything! Even make trucks appear out of nowhere!

But today...he took "more" to a whole new level. He used it for books! Will is about to approach 18 months and I have never seen a toddler as into books as he is. For my baby shower back in February of 2007, each person gave me their favorite book to share with Will. We have loved growing with our collection. Will has carried his love for trucks (or T's as he affectionately calls them) into books and picture books. We have several truck books and I truely believe seeing the trucks in the books helped him make the transition to the other books on his shelves. At 7PM, I fill his milk cup and sit on the couch while he brings me book after book to read. Today this lasted an hour!

So I thought I would share this moment and emphasize the fact that it really is never too early to read with your toddler! Books impart of sense of security for children. They meet others whose backgrounds, religions and cultural ways are unlike their own. The world becomes friendly. I can't wait to explore more books with him, ones that actually have an interesting story line :-) For more about reading with your child, check out 'Honey For A Child's Heart' a book about the importance of reading together.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'll have to tell Karen Hess. I think she is the one who gave you that book. Glad he is loving to "read"!