Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mom & Dad Go to Denver



Adam and I just returned from the most wonderful and restful vacation in Denver, CO visiting our friends the Hutchinsons. There was talk of whether or not the visit was blog-worthy, considering Will wasn't even with me. But I decided that it is because I am still a mom no matter what city I am in!

Leaving Will early Thursday morning was hard. Adam's parents came to Danvers and watched him, which was great. I didn't have to worry for a second if he was okay...but I still wondered what he was doing. It really settled in that he wasn't with us when we were on the airplane leaving Manchester and the stewardess didn't come over to tell me that in the event of an emergency I am to put my oxygen mask on first and then my childs. So I shed a little tear...but Adam said not to worry because we were going to have a great time.

And he was right! We went to the Rockies game, ate dinner at 9PM in the city, discussed books at the coffee shop, went shopping, toured the Coors Brewery, rented a little cabin in the mountains and had game night, went white water rafting, and scaled the Rockies (Mt. Evans). I think maybe one of these things could be done with a baby. So while I was feeling a little guilty when we passed a playground or a big truck, I let myself really enjoy the time we had there knowing that Will was in good hands.

We called twice a day to check in on the little guy and I even had a chance to talk to him on the phone, although he had no idea what was going on. When we got back and I pulled up to the house to greet him, I have to admit I was a little afraid he wouldn't know who I was, but he stared at me for a minute and then couldn't stop smiling. He was so happy to see me! He led me around the house and showed me all the things that he had been doing (including his new tent!). While Adam and I won't be going away again without Will anytime soon, I still feel like it was an important time for Adam and I to have together and I'm so glad we went! Now it's back to reality...until next week when we head to the Poconos for Labor Day.

Thanks Bri and Howie for an awesome time! Everyone should go to Colorado!

1 comment:

brianahutch said...

Yeah! Next year you can come with Will and we'll teach him how to ski!!