Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hair


Considering I grew up very self-conscious about my hair, fretting for many hours in middle school, experiencing many horrible hair-dos, it would figure that my son also has hair issues. This has pretty much been the case since he was able to move his skinny little arms up and touch his little fuzzy head. While I didn't grow any real hair until I was about three, Will has a great head of hair. Unlike me, the style of his hair is not the issue. This issue is his obsession with the texture of hair; his hair, my hair, daddy's hair, ANYONE'S hair.

I really don't know if this is normal..but I don't think I've ever seen other kids do what he does. For comfort, he rubs his own hair between this thumb and forefinger. When I pick him up and hold him, he gently pulls my hair. When he's laying in bed next to Adam, he strokes his head. And yesterday, when Sara and I were at the beach, he came up behind her and played with her hair like he was at a beauty salon. It's so weird!

I know I don't need to worry about it. I'm sure its something he will grow out of...but just in case I have resorted to some drastic measures to phase out this phase. I thought I would share them with you to demonstrate the lengths mothers go to "help" their children.

1. In the early morning, I pull on a ski cap so that when Will climbs into the big bed he won't pull my hair.

2. I've scheduled his first hair cut appointment, much to everyones dismay, in order to get rid of the long hair at the back of his head that he pulls on.

3. And finally, I have bought him a hair brush. If he's going to play with his hair...he mind as well do it right.

Anyway...this has been the biggest thing going on in the past week with Will. Pretty unexciting. I'll let you know how it goes. Besides hair management, Will and I are getting ready for an exciting Fall including music classes, story hour, gym classes, and bible study. Can't wait!

No comments: