Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Best Library Ever!



A long time ago..back when I was in college..I visited several libraries with Emily as she searched around for the perfect children's books to share with her elementary classes she was student teaching. I barely remember them..but after today I can say that I know for a fact that I had never been to the Hamilton Library.

Will and I are currently on a tour of the libraries of the North Shore as the weather gets colder and made our way over to Hamilton today. So far, I have several things that I like about the different Children's rooms in each library I have visited. Beverly has great puzzles and blocks to play with. Danvers has a toy fire truck. That kind of thing. But the Hamilton library knocks out all the other competition and finishes first with the other libraries eating its dust. For those of you that haven't been there, I'm not sure quite how to describe it, so I'll just use a few words to give you the idea.

GIANT fish tank. Special shelves filled with toddler board books. A TRAIN table. A stuffed horse Will can actually ride on. And discount museum passes.

I was in awe. I feel like I have hit the jackpot in free child educational entertainment. One whole table was filled with flyers with children's activities ranging from music & story time to craft days to movie showings. There is more stuff for kids to do at that library than in the entire North Shore.

Of course, Hamilton being the exclusive town that it is, my library card (good at over 50 libraries) was not accepted there, but I quickly handed over my drivers license and applied for a special "out of towner" card and collected my truck books and music CDs. We will be returning as soon as it rains again...that might be tomorrow.

On another note, we also visited the Children's Museum of NH last weekend and had a fabulous time. Even though Will is still young, I highly recommend it to all parents of toddlers!

2 comments:

Story said...

It is the greatest, isn't it? Let me know next time you want to go. We went just this morning but forgot it didn't open till 10 and didn't want to wait around in the cold so we went grocery shopping instead. Almost as fun. Not.

Amy said...

And this is coming from the girl who was the overdue fines queen! You've come a long way, girl.